Pages

Saturday, November 29, 2014

First Finished Product

I have successfully finished editing my first picture in photoshop! I took the picture I talked about in my last blog post and I figured out how to make black and white images. There are a couple of ways to change a picture into a black and white image, but I liked this one way the best, and I will tell you what it is!

Here are the steps I used to change my picture, with picture examples so that you can get a better idea of what tools/settings that I used to make my picture black and white and what tools I used to enhance the picture. The picture examples with the description will give you a clearer demonstration on what I all used to change my picture and how to access them in case you are wondering how to do it yourself in photoshop. 


Changing your photo into a black and white image: 


Step 1: Go to the top of your screen and select images
Step 2: Select the adjustments option
Step 3: Then click gradient map
Step 4: A bar will pop up, hit the okay option and then viola! Your picture is in black and white.
Step 5: When you are done, hit the okay button. 

Changing your exposure: 
Step 1: Go to the top of your screen and select images. 
Step 2: Select the adjustment options. 
Step 3:  Pick the exposure setting.
Step 4: Play around with the exposure, offset and gamma correction bar by moving the scale up or down until you feel that your picture is properly exposed.
Step 5: When you are done, hit the okay button. 

Changing brightness and contrast:
Step 1: Go to the top of your screen and select images. 
Step 2: Select the adjustment options. 
Step 3: Pick the Brightness/Contrast option
Step 4:  Play with the contrast and the brightness bar until you feel like you found the right option for your picture.
Step 5: When you are done, hit the okay button. 

Changing colour balance:
Step 1: Go to the top of your screen and select images. 
Step 2: Select the adjustment options. 
Step 3: Pick the Colour Balance option
Step 4: Move the Cyan, Magenta and Yellow scales up and down, until you find the right settings for you picture. 
Step 5: When you are done, hit the okay button. 

After I used all these tools on photoshop I was pretty satisfied with my picture. But I thought I'd ask someone else for suggestions on what else I could do to my picture, because Im always wanting to find new ways to improve my pictures. I talked to my friend Felicity, who is also doing photography for her passion project. Felicity is amazing photographer who has a lot of experience with photoshop. I sent my picture to her, asking for some advice on what else I could change to my picture to improve it. She suggested to add a little vignette to the sides of the picture and to add midpoint. She said these features would make the picture pop more. I googled it, and figured out how to use these tools. Here is what I did:  


Adding vignette and midpoint:
Step 1: Go to the top of your screen and select Filter.
Step 2: Select the Distort option.
Step 3: Pick the Lens correction option.
Step 4: A large screen will pop up showing a big version of your picture. To add vignette and midpoint to your picture, move the vignette and mid point bars up or down, until you are satisfied with how it looks. *Note: when the screen pops up with your picture a grid will be over it. If you want to move the grid because it is a little distracting, click the check mark box by the Show Grid option on the bottom right hand side of the screen*
Step 5: When you are done, hit the okay button.

Here is my first finished photoshop edit. I am very happy with how it turned out, and am already feeling more comfortable with using photoshop:
The before
and after picture!
Thanks again to my friend Felicity Pollard for the help with editing my picture! Check out Felicitys blog:http://devolpingnegatives.wordpress.com. She has some really beautiful pictures :) 
If you want to see more of my pictures check out my filckr account: My flickr account

Here are the youtube tutorials that helped me learn all the things I talked about:


2 comments:

  1. Raychel! This photo is so lovely, I love the film look to it!
    You're so welcome by the way (: you have the eye for pictures! And you're only getting better! I hope to get you your photoshop as soon as possible! The only thing is I did not know you had a Mac :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a thorough and helpful tutorial, Raychel. Readers will appreciate the detail you include. You may want to consider using a QuickTime screen recording if you do another tutorial; it may save you some time. Here is a QuickTime screen recording tutorial.

    Thank you for including so much detail and so many resources in your posts.

    ReplyDelete