Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Black and White Photography

I had to take 2 trips for my black and white pictures. With black and white photos, you never know if you're picture is going to look good in black and white so it’s hard to know if you have enough pictures that will look good in black and white. You can take inside black and white pictures, but I prefer to go outside. I find that you can get better pictures that way since there's natural lighting and plenty of things to take pictures of. Last year in my digital pictures class we did a unit on black and white photography. I really enjoyed it so I decided to learn more about it. I'm going to talk about the main things that I learned about black and white pictures. 

My first trip I went to my Oma's house, and took pictures in the forest that's right behind her house. Black and white photos can be tricky because when taking the picture you need to make sure that you have good lighting so that your photo won't be to dark, but you also go to make sure that there isn't to much light that your picture will look too bright. You also got to make sure that there is a lot of texture so that your picture won't be boring. This is something I would frequently forget, which is why I had to go out for the second time and take more pictures.


When taking black and white photos you shouldn't take your pictures using a black and white filter that is built in your camera. You should just take pictures like you regularly would, and them edit them later using black and white filters from whatever editing program you use. The reason for this is because sometimes pictures that you meant to be black and white look better in color. For example, when I went out to take black and white pictures I took some picture that I thought would look good in black and white, but when I got home and edited them I realized that they really did not look good in black and white! Unfortunately this meant that I had to go outside and take more pictures, but I have to learn from my mistakes. 

On my second trip I went to Bunns Creek. I was happy with how my pictures turned out. Taking two trips was actually good because now I have a bit more variety in my pictures.
Things I learned about black and white pictures:
- When editing your pictures look for contrast. Most black and white photos have a part of the photo that is white and a part of a photo that is black. 
- Make sure when editing, you also have some shades of grey. If you do not have some grey, your photo will look dull. You can achieve this by using your flash when taking pictures. 
- If you don't have much color to begin with don't turn it into a black and white photo. You will only make your picture more dull and boring looking. 




Websites that I used:

No comments:

Post a Comment