Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Family Photography

At the beginning of the project I was going to do something called Marco photography. But after doing my research, I realized that Marco photography is the same thing as close up photography except it uses a more expensive lens that is made specifically for Marco photography. Since I’ve already done close up photography and don’t want to buy a new lens I decided to scratch that idea. But after looking at different types of photography I realized that there wasn’t that much I could do without having to invest in a knew lens. So I decided to do something simple. I decided to just try out family portraits.

Family portraits are a very common type of photography and are very popular. It’s a lot like regular portraits, except there are more people to consider while taking the picture, which is a little bit harder.  I just decided to do a ‘sibling portraits’ type thing instead of taking pictures of my whole family so it could go a lot quicker. I wanted to take the pictures outside because the scenery would be a lot nicer outside then it would be in my house. Unfortunately I live in the city, so my scenery isn’t the nicest… but I think that its still looks nicer then it would be  in my basement!


I used both my younger sisters as my subjects. Now Winnipeg winters are very cold so if you want to go outside for a long period of time you usually want to bundle up really good. But since I was taking family portraits I wanted my subjects to look good! So bundling up wasn’t something my sisters could do. They both wore black winter jackets, boots, and gloves. That was the only winter gear they were aloud to wear. So to make then pictures go really quick we decided on the poses that they would be doing inside and what order we would be taking them in. Then we all ran outside and I took the photos really fast! Both of my sisters are at the age where they can smile on a command so this was not a problem. If I had done this with younger kids it would have not worked out because it would have probably taken a whole bunch of times to get them smiling and by that time they would be freezing.

My sisters and I googled winter poses and decided on ones that we thought were nice, and would be quick to take. I wouldn’t have been able to get this type of photography done without my sisters, so a big thanks to them! :)




Things I learned about Family Photography:
- Use a tripod.
- You should use manual focus or lock the focus.
- Get people to move around for poses, don’t have them always standing up straight.
- Have fun with it!
- Have good lighting. Don’t want to wash out people’s faces or have shadows on some of them.









No comments:

Post a Comment