Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

DIY Music Photography



I decided to try something different, something challenging but also enjoyable involving my camera. What I did was I went on Pinterst, and looked at the photography pins. Most of the photography pins are different types of photography examples like portraits, still life’s, landscapes etc. But the ones that I was interested in were the DIY photography ideas. It’s these interesting unique ways of taking pictures. So I took some examples off Pinterst, and tried to copy what they did. I took 5 different photos that had music somewhat involved in them.

For the first picture I used headphones, pencil crayons, a piece of paper, tape and sticky tack. I wasn't really happy how this picture turned out. I liked the one on Pinterst a lot better. Drawing the music notes took a long time. And after drawing them all I realized that I should have drawn them more to the left side of the paper instead of the center. That was frustrating, and since it took me so long to draw I didn't feel like re drawing it so I just used the one I made. Getting the headphone to stay in position was actually kind of difficult. At first I was trying to hold the headphone in place while trying to take the picture but that did not work very well! What I ended up doing was taping the wire from the headphone to the table that I had the picture on, and I put some sticky tack on the speaker and stuck it to the paper. It worked out all right. It was not one of my best pictures.  

For my second picture I used an acoustic guitar, sheet music and CD’s. I was very proud of how this one turned out. The one I saw on Pinterst actually used an electric guitar and a cord. But since I do not own an electric guitar and only had an acoustic guitar I just used that. Acoustic guitars don’t usually use cords so I decided not to use one for my photo. The one on Pinterst also didn’t use music sheets; I just added that to my picture because I thought that it would look cool. I didn’t have any problems while taking this picture. I took it by some windows so I wouldn’t have any problems with lighting. This picture was one of my better ones, and is also my favorite picture.

For my third picture was the easiest one to take. I got my sister Danielle to hold up an old tape outside and I took a picture. I had to do a lot of editing though. I cropped it so that the tape would be centered, and I repositioned it so that the tape was on an angle. I edited it into a black and white picture and turned up the contrast and exposure. This picture took me around 10 minutes to do!


For my fourth picture it took awhile to set up but I had no problems with it. I used a bulletin board, a black cord, sticky tack, a music tape, pins, tape, a blank white sheet of paper, and star stickers. I have a small bullet in my room. I used my bulletin board so I could pin the white piece of paper up and so that I would have been able to pin the cord to the board. What I did was I placed the star stickers on my paper and pinned the paper to the bulletin board. Then I took my black cord and pinned it to the board and made sure that the cord would overlap the paper. I ended up taping the cord to the bulletin board just for more support. I took the music tape and pulled the tape out. I taped the end of the loose tape together. Then I put sticky tack on one side of the tape and stuck it on the paper just above the cord. It looks like the music tape is being supported by the cord but it is not. I think put sticky tack on the music tapes tape and tried my best to make a heart shape. I then stuck the heart to the paper as well. I edited this picture to make it have an old fashioned kind of look. I have example pictures to show what I did a bit better.


Black cord pinned and tapped into place 
Full view of project 









Heart sticky tacked into place 













For the fifth picture I got my younger sister Serena to help me. It took awhile to get her to hold the music tape in the exact position that I wanted her to hold it, but we eventually got it to work. I edited this picture a lot. Serena kind of looks blurred, but that’s how the picture is supposed to look. The point of the picture is that the music tape is the main focus. I edited this picture so that it was kind of faded, making it look kind of older. Its very simple looking, but that’s the way I wanted it to look.

This DIY music photography was a lot of fun. I might try doing something like this again. Here is the link to the Pinterst website that I got these music photography ideas from. 
http://psd.fanextra.com/articles/25-inspiring-examples-of-music-photography/







No comments:

Post a Comment